Diversity of Talent Management in Mission-Driven Organisations
This section uses three case studies to examine the diversity of TM in NFPs. There will be differences in the TM policies of NFPs depending on the nature of the work they do. Our case studies are drawn from two main sources of data: (a) information provided by organisational members through semi-structured interviews and (b) information posted on the organisations’ respective websites. We cover the following:
- • TM at Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF)
- • TM at the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- • Joint TM at United Nation’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and the United Nations Development Program (UNDP).
We use the same structure for each case:
- 1. We begin with a brief overview of the organisation;
- 2. We consider how the organisation defines talent and talent management;
- 3. We discuss the organisation’s approach to attracting, developing and retaining talent;
- 4. We explore the uses of technology to facilitate the TM process;
- 5. We present our interviewees’ views about the future of TM at their organisation and the challenges that they need to overcome to establish TM as the formal system for managing talented employees.