Limitations and Suggestions for Further Researches
As in any other study that presents a theoretical tool developed in a particular reality, the main limitations are based, essentially, in its incapacity to generalize. Therefore, and although we are in front of a well succeed global talent management System, its implementation in the diverse types of organizations and geographies could be limited, product of the exercised influence by each particular organizational context.
In this regard, in the scope of a global talent management and in a scenario characterized by a scarce national academic production, its analysis and deepening, in the most diverse organizational contexts, will be of great contribution to the deletion of possible existent limitations as well as to the development of a field increasingly actual and pertinent to HRM and the business world.
So, the following themes can be suggested to future research, namely:
- (1) Development of theoretical models of Talent Management: Theoretical tools allow that other researchers develop or improve the existent ones at the same time they allow to better analyze all global talent management process.
- (2) Global Talent Management in SME: SME represents the majority of the Portuguese business market. It is important that these organizations recognize the need of a global talent management and take conscious of its advantages. SME requires specific approaches of global talent management which are interrelated with the organizations own characteristics, such as the small number of collaborators, or sometimes, with a management familiar character, or with inexperience at the internationalization level.
- (3) Women and Global Talent Management, developing issues such as glass ceiling and equal opportunities. Women still have lesser representation in executive commissions and in leadership positions, reason why it is urgent to analyze in what way women and their organizations could break the glass ceiling, comparing leadership, of thought and emotional styles.
- (4) Global Talent Management and Ethics: Analysis of the talent programs ethic. HRM should consider the ethic involved in the global talent management systems. The workers exclusion from talent programs can be seen as a way to suppress opportunities to express the individual identity and authenticity. Management male nature also could form a threat to women progress and to equal opportunities. Global talent management should be followed by a sense of justice.
- (5) Global Talent Management and Innovation: In a global world, innovation is seen as an imperative to organizations. In order to be competitive, organizations should take advantage from its capacity to innovate. The higher its capacity to innovate, more efficient will be the talent management strategies. However, we should take in mind that innovation requires creativity that often goes by simplicity, which, curiously, not always is of difficult operationalization. Innovation in global talent management assumes the existence of distinguishing skills, different ways of leadership development, and talent culture.