1. Arvidsson A, Evertsson I, Ekelund M, et al. Water with food intake does not influence caloric intake after gastric bypass (GBP): A crossover trial. Obes Surg2015;25:249-253.
2. Cummings S. Nutrition management, pre-and post surgery. Kushner RF, Still CD, eds. Nutrition and Bariatric Surgery. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2015, pp. 33-53.
3. Lewis FL. Perioperative nutritional assessment of the bariatric surgery patient. In: Still CD, Sarwer DB, eds. The ASMBS Textbook of Bariatric Surgery, vol 2. New York, NY: Springer, 2014, pp. 77-87.
4. Del Valle. Peptic ulcer disease and related disorders. In: Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, et al., eds. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, Eighteenth Edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2014.
5. NIH—National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Dumping Syndrome. Available at www.niddk.nih.gov.
6. Rolfes SR, Pinna K, Whitney E. Understanding Normal and Clinical Nutrition. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Publishing, Thomson Learning, 2006, pp. 727-730.
7. Nguyen NQ, Debrecceni TL, Burgstad CM, et al. Effects of posture and meal volume on gastric emptying, intestinal transit, oral glucose tolerance, blood pressure, and gastrointestinal symptoms after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Obes Surg 2015;25:1392-1400.
8. Spiro HM. Clinical Gastroenterolgy. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2002.
9. Sitaraman S, Friedman LS, eds. Essentials of Gastroenterology. Oxford, UK: John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
10. Goldstein JL, Schlesinger PK, Mozwecz HL, et al. Esophageal mucosal resistance. A factor in esophagitis. Gastroenterol Clin NAmer 1990;19:565.
11. Kitchin LI, Castell DO. Rationale and efficacy of conservative therapy for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Arch Intern Med 1991;151:448.
12. ADA. Advanced Postgraduate Course. San Francisco, CA: ADA, 2016.
13. Rariy CM, Rometo D Korytkowski M. Post-gastric bypass hypoglycemia. Curr Diab Rep 2016 Feb;16(2):12.
14. Paeschke TM, Aimutis WR. Formulating for satiety with hydrocolloids. Food Technology 2011 Mar;24-32.
15. Mans E, Serra-Prat M, Palomera E, et al. Sleeve gastrectomy effects on hunger, satiation, and gastrointestinal hormone and motility responses after a liquid meal test. Am J Clin Nutr 2015;102:540-547.
16. Yan W, Polidori D, Yieh L, et al. Effects of meal size on the release of GLP-1 and PYY after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery in obese subjects with or without type 2 diabetes. Obes Surg 2014;24:1969-1974.
17. El Labban S, Safadi B, Olabi A. The effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy surgery on dietary intake, food preferences, and gastrointestinal symptoms in post surgical morbidly obese Lebanese subjects: A cross-sectional pilot study. Obes Surg 2015;25:2393-2399.
18. Jabr F. That craving for dessert. Scientific American 2016 Jan;314:23-24.
19. Savaiano DA, Levitt MD. Milk intolerance and microbe-containing dairy foods. JDairy Sci 1987;70(2):397-406.
20. Gaby AR. The role of hidden food allergy/intolerance in chronic disease. Altern Med Rev 1998 Apr;3(2):90-100.
21. Wuthrich B. [Food allergy, food intolerance or functional disorder?] [Article in German] Praxis (Bern 1994) 2009 Apr 1;98(7):375-387.
22. Patriarca G, Schiavino D, Pecora V, et al. Food allergy and food intolerance: diagnosis and treatment. Intern Emerg Med 2009 Feb;4(1):11-24.
23. DiSalvo D. What does alcohol do to your brain? Forbes. Oct 2012.
24. Spadola CE, Wagner EF, Dillon FR, et al. Alcohol and drug use among post operative bariatric patients: A systematic review of the emerging research and its implications. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2015 Sep;39(9):1582-1601.
25. Svensson PA, Anveden A, Romeo S, et al. Alcohol consumption and alcohol problems after bariatric surgery in the Swedish obese subjects study. Obesity 2013; 21(12):244-251.
26. Burgos MG, Cabral PC, Maio R, et al. Prevalence of alcohol abuse before and after bariatric surgery associated with nutrition and lifestyle factors: A study involving a Portuguese population. Obes Surg 2015;25(9):1716-1722.
27. Steffen KJ, Engel SG, Wonderlich JA, et al. Alcohol and other additive disorders following bariatric surgery: Prevalence, risk factors and possible etiologies. Eur Eat Disord Rev 2015;23(6):442-450.
28. Steffen KJ, Engel SG, et al. Blood alcohol concentrations rise rapidly and dramatically after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2013;9(3): 470-473.
29. Heckman MA, Weil J, Gonzalez de Mejia E, et al. Caffeine (1, 3, 7-t rimethylxanthine) in foods: A comprehensive review on consumption, functionality, safety, and regulatory matters. J Food Sci 2010Apr;75 (3):R77-87.
30. Memelstein NH. Caffeinated concerns. Food Technology May 2015; 69-71.
31. Clemens R, Hayes AW, Kruger C. Understanding the difference between hazard and risk. Food Technol 2016 Jan;1(16):18-19.
32. Rubach M, Lang R, Skupin C, et al. Activity-guided fractionation to characterize a coffee beverage that effectively down-regulates mechanisms of gastric acid secretion as compared to regular coffee.J. Agric. Food Chem 2010;58(7):4153-4161.
33. Kotyczka C, Boettler U, Lang R, et al. Dark roast coffee is more effective than light roast coffee in reducing body weight and in restoring red blood cell Vitamin E and glutathione concentrations in healthy volunteers. MolNutr Food Res 2011 Oct; 55(10):1582-1586.
34. Ng TP, Feng L, Niti M et al. Tea consumption and cognitive impairment and decline in older Chinese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 88:224-231.
35. Shively CA, Tarka Sm. Methylxantine composition and consumption patterns of cocoa and chocolate products. Prog Clin Biol Res 1984;158:149-178.
36. Peterson LA, Cheskin LJ, Furtado M, et al. Malnutrition in bariatric surgery candidates: Multiple micronutrient deficiencies prior to surgery. Obes Surg 2016 Apr; 26(4):833-838.
37. Faintuch J, Matsuda M, Cruz ME, et al. Severe protein-calorie malnutrition after bariatric procedures. Obes Surg 2004;14:175-181.
38. Muschitz C, Kocijan R, Haschka J, et al. The impact of vitamin D, calcium, protein supplementation, and physical exercise on bone metabolism after bariatric surgery: The BABS study. J Bone Miner Res 2016 Mar;31:672-682.
39. Billeter ATY, Probst P, Fischer L, et al. Risk of malnutrition, trace metal and vitamin deficiency post Roux-en-Y gastric bypass—A prospective study of20 patients with BMI < 35 kg/m2. Obes Surg2015;25:2125-2134.
40. Gong K, Gagner M, Pomp A, et al. Micronutrient deficiencies after laparoscopic gastric bypass: Recommendations. Obes Surg 2008;18:1062-1066.
41. Van der Beek ES, Monpellier VM, Eland I, et al. Nutritional deficiencies in gastric bypass patients; incidence, time of occurrence and implications for post-operative surveillance. Obes Surg 2015;25:818-823.
42. Schweitzer DH, Posthuma EF. Prevention of vitamin and mineral deficiencies after bariatric surgery: evidence and algorithms. Obes Surg 2008;18:1485-1488.