ACP. 2006. Aboriginal Canada Portal: Elders, 11 June [accessed 26 June 2007]. Available from http://www.aboriginalcanada.gc.ca/acp/site.nsf/en/ao26873. html.
Adeba, Brian. 2006. The Admiral Takes Off His Shoes. Embassy, 30 August.
Andreas, Peter, and Richard Price. 2001. From War Fighting to Crime Fighting: Transforming the American National Security State. International Studies Review 3 (3):31—52.
Arseniuk, Melissa. 2007. Misinformation Is the Enemy for Canada's Muslim Chaplain. The Ottawa Citizen, 8 February.
Assistant Deputy Minister Human Resources. 2005. PERSTEMPO Policy. Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter (9):3.
Auditor General of Canada. 2006. Status Report: National Defence - Military Recruiting and Retention. Ottawa: Office of the Auditor General of Canada.
Bachman, Jerald G., P. Freedman-Doan, D. Segal, and P. O'Malley. 2000. Distinctive Attitudes among US Enlistees 1976-1997: Self-Selection Versus Socialization. Armed Forces and Society 26 (4):561-85.
Bains, Deep. 2006. CF Sikh. Blogger.com [accessed 13 June 2007]. Available from http://cfsikh.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html.
Banerjee, Sikata, and Harold Coward. 2005. Hindus in Canada: Negotiating Identity in A 'Different' Homeland. In Religion and Ethnicity in Canada, edited by P. Bramadat and D. Seljak. Toronto: Pearson Longman.
Barnes, Tanya. 2005. The Circle Is Strong. Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter, 25 May.
Barris, Ted. 1999. Deadlock in Korea: Canadians at War, 1950-1953. Toronto: Macmillan Canada.
Bauman, Zygmunt. 1992. Intimations of Postmodernity. New York: Routledge.
Beck, Ulrich. 1999. World Risk Society. Malden, MA: Polity Press.
Beckford, James A. 1992. Religion Modernity and Post-Modernity. In Religion: Contemporary Issues, edited by B.R. Wilson. London: Bellew Press.
- 2003. Social Theory and Religion. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Belanger, Alain, L. Martel, and E. Caron-Malenfant. 2005. Population
Projections of Visible Minority Groups, Canada, Provinces and Regions, 2001-2017. Ottawa: Statistics Canada, Ministry of Industry.
Ben-Eliezer, Uri. 1998. The Making of Israeli Militarism. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
Benham Rennick, Joanne. 2004. Personal Email Correspondence, 12 November 2004.
- - 2005a. The Ministry of Presence: The Evolving Role of the Canadian Forces Chaplaincy. Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute 7 (4):1-18.
- - 2005b. Personal Notes - Conference on Chaplains in War and Peace: Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada. Victoria, 25-6 April.
- - 2006a. Caring for All in a New Context. In Chaplains in War and Peace:
Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada, edited by Michael L. Hadley and L.A. Kenny.
Victoria: Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria.
- - 2006b. Coping with Trauma through Spiritual Remembrance: A Case Study of Canadian Veterans of the Vietnam War. Axis Mundi 7:1-24.
- - 2006c. Personal Email Correspondence.
- - 2006d. Personal Interview.
- - 2006e. Personal Notes.
Bercuson, David. 1996. Significant Incident: Canada's Army, the Airborne, and the Murder in Somalia. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart.
Berger, Peter. 1967. The Sacred Canopy. Garden City, NY: Anchor Books.
Bergeron, Marie-Chantale. 2006. Respect and Honour: Values Shared by the Aboriginal Peoples and the CF. The Maple Leaf/La Feuille d'Erable 9 (22):16.
Bernstein, Jerome S. 2005. Living in the Borderland: The Evolution of
Consciousness and the Challenge of Healing Trauma. London and New York: Routledge.
Berton, Pierre. 2002. Marching as to War: Canada's Turbulent Years. Toronto: Anchor Press.
Beste, J. 2003. Receiving and Responding to God's Grace: A Re-Examination in Light of Trauma Theory. Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics 23 (1):3-20.
Beylia. 2006. CFB Pagans. WitchVox.com, 8 May[accessed 14 June 2007]. Available from http://www.witchvox.com/lx/dt_lx.html?a=caon&id=29122.
Bibby, Reginald. 2002. Restless Gods: The Renaissance of Religion in Canada. Toronto: Stoddart Publishing.
Bibby, Reginald, and Donald C. Posterski. 1985. The Emerging Generation: An Inside Look at Canada's Teenagers. Toronto: Irwin Publishing.
Bland, Douglas. 1987. The Administration of Defence Policy in Canada, 1947 to 1985. Kingston: Ronald P. Frye and Co.
- - 1996. The Government of Canada and the Armed Forces: A Troubled Relationship. In The Soldier and the Canadian State: A Crisis in Civil-Military Relations?, edited by D.A. Charters and J.B. Wilson. Fredericton, NB: Centre for Conflict Studies.
- - 1999. Canada's Officer Corps: New Times, New Ideas. In CDA Institute XVth Annual Seminar - The Profession of Arms in Canada: Past, Present and Future. Ottawa: Canadian Defence Association.
Bledsoe, Elizabeth E. 2005. The Use of Culture in Operational Planning. Master's of Military Art and Science, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
Boddam, Randy, and Margaret Ramsay. 2005. We Can Help Prevent Suicide.
Canadian Forces Health Services Group Bulletin 6 (4):1.
Bondy, Harry. 2004. Postmodernism and the Source of Military Strength in the Anglo West. Armed Forces and Society 31:31-61.
Booth, Bradford, Meyer Kestnbaum, and David R. Segal. 2001. Are Post Cold War Militaries Postmodern? Armed Forces and Society 27:319-42.
Bourque, R.P. 2001. Collaborative Ministry in the Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch: The Relationship in Ministry between Ordained Priests and Lay Pastoral Associates. Paper read at Canadian Canon Law Society, 16 October, at Ottawa, ON.
- 2006. Chaplain General Session. Paper read at Annual Canadian Forces Chaplains' Retreat, at NAVCan Centre, Cornwall, ON.
Bramadat, Paul. 2005. Beyond Christian Canada. In Religion and Ethnicity in Canada, edited by P. Bramadat and D. Seljak. Toronto: Pearson Longman. Bridgers, Lynn. 2005. Contemporary Varieties of Religious Experience: James's Classic Study in Light of Resiliency, Temperament, and Trauma. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
Bruce, Steve. 1990. A House Divided: Protestantism, Schism, and Secularization. New York: Routledge.
- 1995. Religion in Modern Britain. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Brunschot, Angela. 2006. The Prayer Room Does Good: Feeling the Pressure
from a Culturally Diverse Workforce, Companies Are Making Room for Religion at Work. National Post, 18 February, FW3.
Cahill, Lisa Sowle. 1994. Love Your Enemies: Discipleship, Pacifism, and Just War Theory. Minneapolis: Augsburg Fortress Press.
Canada Safety Council. 2006. Canada's Silent Tragedy, September [accessed 30 March 2010]. Available from http://archive.safety-council.org/info/ community/suicide.html.
Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch. 2003. Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch Manual. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
Canadian Forces Health Services. 2004. News Room: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Department of National Defence, 10 February [accessed 17 July 2007]. Available from http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/ news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=1514.
- 2008. Operational Trauma and Stress Support Centres. Department of National Defence, 21 July 21 [accessed 1 April 2010]. Available from http://www.for ces.gc.ca/health-sante/ps/mh-sm/otssc-cstso/default-eng.asp
Canadian Legal Information Institute. 1997. Special Service Medal Bar Order 'Humanitas.' Ottawa: Governer General of Canada.
Canadian Mental Health Association. 2010. Understanding Mental Illness: Suicide. Canadian Mental Health Association [accessed 15 January 2010]. Available from http://www.cmha.ca/bins/content_page. asp?cid=3-101&lang=1
Canadian Press. 2003. Canadian Forces Appoints First Muslim Chaplain. CTV News [accessed 4 November 2005]. Available from http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1071094670450_66503870/?hub=Canada.
- 2007. Wiccan Soldiers Celebrate. Toronto Star, 31 May.
Casanova, Jose. 1994. Public Religions in the Modern World. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
CBC News. 2005. The Ghosts of Rwanda. The CBC Digital Archives Website, 16 May [accessed 11 July 2007]. Available from http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-71- 1686-11622/con flict_war/romeo_dallaire/clip1.
- - 2006a. Canada's Military: Canadian Forces in the 21st Century. 10 July [accessed 15 June 2007]. Available from http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/ cdnmilitary/.
- - 2006b. Canadian Military Seeks Muslim Recruits. 25 August [accessed 13 June 2007]. Available from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/08/25/ muslim-fri.html.
- - 2008. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Surges among Canadian Veterans. 29 February [accessed 1 June 2008]. Available from http://www.cbc.ca/health/ story/2008/02/29/ptad-report.html.
- - 2009. The Traumatic Effects of Extreme Stress. 26 October. Available from http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/12/17/f-ptsd.html.
- 2010. Soldiers with Severe PTSD Have Trouble Finding Help. 25 May [accessed 26 May 2010]. Available from http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/05/25/ post-traumatic-stress-military.html.
Charmaz, Kathy. 1983. The Grounded Theory Method: An Explication and Interpretation. In Contemporary Field Research: A Book of Readings, edited by R.M. Emerson. Boston: Little, Brown.
- 2006. Constructing Grounded Theory. London: Sage.
Clarke, Brian. 1996. English-Speaking Canada from 1854. In A Concise History of Christianity in Canada, edited by R. Perrin and T. Murphy. Toronto:
Oxford University Press.
Commando.org. 2004. The Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia: A Soldier's Journals commando.org, 15 June [accessed 15 June 2007]. Available from http://www.commando.org/somalia.php.
Commission of Inquiry into the Deployment of Canadian Forces to Somalia. 1997. Report of the Somalia Commission of Inquiry. Ottawa: Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Cotton, Charles A. 1983. A Canadian Military Ethos. Canadian Defence Quarterly 12 (3):10-8.
Crerar, Duff. 1995. Padres in No Man's Land: Canadian Chaplains and the Great War. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press.
- - 2006a. Advancing the Profession: Canadian Military Chaplains and the Post Cold War Era, 1995 to 2005. Paper read at Annual Canadian Forces Chaplain's Retreat, at NAVCan Centre, Cornwall, ON.
- - 2006b. Obedient Rebels: Canadian Chaplains in World War I. In Chaplains in War and Peace: Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada, edited by M.L. Hadley and L.A. Kenny. Victoria: Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria.
Critchley, Harriet W. 1993. Civilianization and the Canadan Military. In Canada's Defence, edited by B.D. Hunt and R.G. Haycock. Toronto: Copp Clark Pitman.
Crowley, Terry. 1996. The French Regime to 1760. In A Concise History of Christianity in Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
Dallaire, Romeo. 2002. A Good Man in Hell: Romeo Dallaire and the Rwandan Genocide. Washington, DC: United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- 2003. Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda. Toronto: Random House.
deLaplante, Cheryl. 2005. CF Chaplains: Called to Serve. Department of National Defence, 12 May.
Dingwell, T. Kevin. 2004. Caring for All: The Challenges for Chaplaincy in a Multi-Faith Military. War, Peace and Security Command and Staff Course (CSC) Papers.
Dionne, Bernard. 2002. Multi-Faith Religious Service at Canada's Military University. Queen's University, 4 October [accessed 1 April 2010]. Available from http://post.queensu.ca/~jameswc/rdk/RMCservice.html.
Directorate Quality of Life. 2007. PERSTEMPO. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
DND. 2002a. Statistics Canada CF Mental Health Survey: A 'Milestone.' Statistics Canada, 2008-08-21 [accessed 24 October 2008]. Available from http://www. forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/rpt/mh-sm/survey-enquete-eng.asp.
- - 2002b. Systemic Treatment of CF Members with PTSD Complainant: Christian Mceachern. Ottawa: National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman.
- - 2003a. Backgrounder: Employers Recognized for Supporting Canada's Reserve Force. Department of National Defence [accessed 23 February 2010]. Available from http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvel les-eng.asp?cat=03&id=1066.
- - 2003b. Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch Manual. Ottawa: Chief of Defence Staff, Department of National Defence.
- - 2003c. Duty with Honour: The Profession of Arms in Canada. Canadian Defence Academy and Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.
- - 2003d. Duty with Honour: The Profession of Arms in Canada. Ottawa:
Canadian Defence Academy/Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.
- - 2003e. News Release: First Muslim Chaplain for Canadian Forces. 28 October [accessed 12 January 2010]. Available from http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/ news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=1280.
- - 2003f. Off the Rails: Crazy Train Float Mocks Operational Stress Injury Sufferers. Ottawa: National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman.
- - 2003g. Religions in Canada. Ottawa: Directorate of Military Gender Integration and Employment Equity.
- - 2004. A New Compulsory Retirement Age for CF Members Is Here! Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter, 21 July.
- - 2005a. Canada's International Policy Statement: A Role of Pride and Influence in the World Canada. Ottawa: Government of Canada.
- - 2005b. Canadian Rangers. 4 April [accessed 14 June 2007]. Available from http://www.rangers.dnd.ca/pubs/rangers/intro_e.asp.
- - 2005c. Disaster Assistance Response Team - DART. 10 January 2005 [accessed 6 September 2006]. Available from http://www.cefcom-comfec.forces. gc.ca/pa-ap/nr-sp/doc-eng.asp?id=301.
- - 2006a. Canada's Army. Ottawa: Canadian Armed Forces.
- - 2006b. Canadian Forces National Report to the Committee for Women in NATO Forces. Ottawa: NATO.
- - 2007a. Ceremonies. National Military Cemetery, 1 April 2010 [accessed
- 1 June 2010]. Available from http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/nmc-cmn/ps/ cer/index-eng.asp.
- - 2007b. Chaplaincy in Operations. 23 January [accessed 30 March 2010]. Available from http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/cfcb-bsafc/ps/co-ado/index-eng.asp.
- - 2008a. Newsroom: The Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch. 15 August [accessed 6 September 2008]. Available from http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvel- les/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?cat=00&id=2730.
- - 2008b. Statistics Canada CF Mental Health Survey: A 'Milestone.' Statistics Canada, 8 August [accessed 24 February 2010]. Available from http://www. forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pub/rpt/mh-sm/survey-enquete-eng.asp
- - 2009. About CF Chaplain Branch: History. 5 April [accessed 30 March 2010]. Available from http://www.cmp-cpm.for ces.gc.ca/cfcb-bsafc/acf-sbs/his/ index-eng.asp
- - 2010a. Canadian Forces Ranks and Appointment Insignia. 12 February [accessed 30 March 2010]. Available from http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/acf-apfc/Insig/ index-eng.asp.
- - 2010b. Canadian Forces Recruiting FAQ. 2 February [accessed 26 February 2011]. Available from http://www.forces.ca/en/page/faq-101.
- - 2010c. Canadian Forces Recruiting: Chaplain. 30 March [accessed 30 March 2010]. Available from http://www.forces.ca/en/job/chaplain-55.
- - 2010d. What Is the Relationship between DND and the Canadian Forces?
- 21 January [accessed 15 March 2010]. Available from http://www.forces. gc.ca/site/about-notresujet/index-eng.asp Dowden, Craig. 2001. Quality of Life in the Canadian Forces: Results from the National Survey. Ottawa: Director Human Resources Research and Evaluation.
Durkheim, Emile. 1952. Suicide: A Study in Sociology. Translated by J.A.
Spaulding and G. Simpson. Edited by G. Simpson. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.
- 1965 . Elementary Forms of the Religious Life. New York: Free Press. Edmonds, Martin. 1990. Armed Services and Society. Boulder: Westview Press. Elshtain, Jean Bethke, ed. 1991. Just War Theory. New York: New York
English, Allan D. 2000. Leadership and Operational Stress in the Canadian Forces. Canadian Military Journal 1 (3).
- 2004. Understanding Military Culture: A Canadian Perspective. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press.
English, John. 2003. Canadian Peacekeeping Is Not What It Used to Be. Ottawa: Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute.
Farley, Yvonne R. 2007. Making the Connection: Spirituality, Trauma and Resiliency. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work 26 (1):1-15.
Ferraro, Kenneth F., and Cynthia M. Albrecht-Jensen. 1991. Does Religion Influence Adult Health? Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 30 (2):193-202.
Ford, Michael Thomas. 2005. The Path of the Green Man: Gay Men, Wicca and Living a Magical Life. Seacaucus, NY: Citadel.
Fowler, Albert G. 1996. Peacetime Padres: Canadian Protestant Military Chaplains 1945-1995. St Catharines, ON: Vanwell Publishing.
- 2006. Soldier or Priest? The Experience of Canadian Chaplains in World War II. In Chaplains in War and Peace: Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada, edited by M. Hadley and L. Kenny. Victoria: Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria.
Freakley, Benjamin C. 1998. Training for Peace Support Operations. Military Review 78 (4):17-24.
Fuller, Robert C. 2000. Fresh Takes on a Classic: William James's Varieties Approaches Its Centennial. Religious Studies Review 26 (April):151-5.
- 2001. Spiritual but Not Religious: Understanding Unchurched America. New York: Oxford University Press.
Gaffen, Fred. 1990. Unknown Warriors: Canadians in the Vietnam War. Toronto: Dundurn Press.
Giddens, Anthony. 1991. Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and Society in the Late Modern Age. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
Granatstein, J.L. 1993. The American Influence on the Canadian Military, 1939-1963. In Canada's Defence: Perspectives on Policy in the Twentieth Century, edited by B.D. Hunt and R.G. Haycock. Toronto: Copp Clark Pitman.
Grant, John Webster. 1988. The Church in the Canadian Era. Burlington, ON: Welch Publishing Co.
Grant, Robert. 1999. Spirituality and Trauma. The International Journal of Traumatology 5 (1):4-10.
Hackett, General Sir John. 1963. The Profession of Arms London: Times Publishing Co.
Harvey, Dona. 2006. Chaplain's Role in Military. Emmaus 3 (1):5-6.
Heelas, Paul, and Linda Woodhead. 2005. The Spiritual Revolution: Why Religion Is Giving Way to Spirituality. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing.
Hertzman, Lewis, John Warnock, and Tom Hocken. 1969. Alliances or Illusions: Canadan and the NATO-NORAD Question. Edmonton: Hurtig.
Hervieu-Leger, Daniele. 2000. Religion as a Chain of Memory. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- 2006. The Role of Religion in Establishing Social Cohesion. In Religion in the New Europe: Conditions of European Solidarity edited by K. Michalski. Budapest and New York: Central European University Press.
Holden, Nikki. 2005. Workforce Analysis. Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter CF, 10 May.
Holmes, John. 1979. The Shaping of Peace: Canada and the Search for World Order: 1943-1957. Vol. 1. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Howie, Bill. 2006. Peacetime and Cold War: The Canadian Forces Chaplaincy. In Chaplains in War and Peace: Ethical Dilemmas of Conscience and Conflicting Professional Roles in Military Chaplaincy in Canada, edited by M.L. Hadley and L.A. Kenny. Victoria: Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria.
ICCS. 1973. Protocol Concerning the International Commission of Control and Supervision. The American Journal of International Law 67 (2):412-18.
Irwin-Zarecka, Iwona. 1994. Frames of Remembrance: The Dynamics of Collective Memory. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers.
Jackson, P. 2003a. The Experience of Military Service for Lesbians and Gay Men. Kingston, ON: Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.
- 2003b. The Military Closet: Sexual Orientation and the Canadian Forces. Kingston, ON: Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.
Jamieson, John. 2006. Applying Spiritual Values and Resources in the Management of Traumatic Stress. On Line Journal of the American Academy of Experts on Traumatic Stress. Available from http://www.aaets.org/trresp. htm.
Janis, Irving. 1972. Victims of Groupthink. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
- 1982. Groupthink: Psychological Studies of Policy Decisions and Fiascos. 2nd ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.
Jedwab, Jack. 2004. Interview with David Pratt: Minister of National Defence. Canadian Diversity/ Diversite canadienne 3 (2):9-10.
- 2005. Canada's Demo-Religious Revolution: 2017 Will Bring Considerable Change to the Profile of the Mosaic. Association for Canadian Studies/ Association d'etudes Canadiennes. March [accessed 29 June 2007].
Available from www.acs-aec.ca/pdf/Polls/30-03-2005.pdf.
Johnston, Paul. 2000. Doctrine Is Not Enough: The Effect of Doctrine on the Behaviour of Armies. Parameters 30 (3):30-9.
Kalayjian, Anie. 2002. Biopsychosocial and Spiritual Treatment of Trauma. Vol. 3, Comprehensive Handbook of Psychotherapy: Interpersonal/Humanistic/Existential. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
Kasurak, Peter C. 1982. Civilianization and the Military Ethos: Civil-Military Relations in Canada. Canadian Public Administration 25 (1):108-29.
Kronenberg, Vernon J. 1973. All Together Now: The Organization of National Defence in Canada, 1964-1972. Toronto: Canadian Institute of International Affairs.
Lancia, Robert. 2000. Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Spirituality: The Role of the Chaplain in the Canadian Armed Forces Operational Trauma, Stress and Support Centres. Ann Arbor, MI: UMI Dissertation Services.
LaRose-Edwards, Paul, Jack Dangerfield, and Randy Weekes. 1997. NonMilitary Training for Canadian Peacekeepers: A Study Prepared for the Commission of Inquiry into the Deployment of Canadian Forces to Somalia. Ottawa: Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
Legault, Albert. 1997. Bringing the Canadian Armed Forces into the Twenty- First Century. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
Lemieux, Raymond, and Jean-Paul Montminy. 2000. Le Catholicisme Quebecois. Quebec: Les Presses de l'universite Laval.
Levant, Victor. 1986. Quiet Complicity: Canadian Involvement in the Vietnam War. Toronto: Between the Lines.
Lipner, Julius. 1994. Hindus: Their Religious Beliefs and Practices. London: Routledge.
Loughlin, C., and K.A. Arnold. 2003. Leadership Development Programs in the Canadian Armed Forces (Sub-Group Differences): Moving Women into Positions of Leadership. Kingston, ON: Canadian Forces Leadership Institute.
Lucas, George. 1977. Star Wars. 20th Century Fox.
Lyon, David. 2000. Jesus in Disneyland: Religion in Postmodern Times. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers.
MacFarlane, John, and John Moses. 2005. Different Drummers: Aboriginal Culture and the Canadian Armed Forces, 1939-2002. Canadian Military Journal 6 (1):25.
Mahmood, Cynthia Keppley. 2005. Sikhs in Canada: Identity and
Committment. In Religion and Ethnicity in Canada, edited by P. Bramadat and D. Seljak. Toronto: Pearson Longman.
Mahoney, Sean. 1997. War without Battles: Canada's NATO Brigade in Germany, 1951-1993. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Marin, Andre. 2004. Special Report: Systemic Treatment of CF Members with PTSD. Ottawa: National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman.
Mattox, John Mark. 2006. Saint Augustine and the Theory of Just War. New York: Continuum.
McCue, Henry. 2000. Strengthening Relationships between the Canadian Forces and Aboriginal People. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
McDonough, Sheila, and Homa Hoodfar. 2005. Muslims in Canada: From Ethnic Groups to Religious Community. In Religion and Ethnicity in Canada, edited by P. Bramadat and D. Seljak. Toronto: Pearson Longman.
McLellan, Janet. 1999. Many Petals of the Lotus: Five Asian Buddhist Communities in Toronto. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Melady, John. 1983. Canada's Forgotten War. Toronto: Collins.
Mercier, Christian. 2006. Address on the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School. Paper read at Annual Chaplains' Retreat, 16 June, at Cornwall, ON.
Milner, Marc. 1999. Canada's Navy: The First Century. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Milot, Micheline. 1991. Le Catholicisme au Creuset de la Culture. Studies in Religion 20 (1):51-64.
Moffatt, Gary. 1982. A History of the Peace Movement in Canada. Ottawa: Grape Vine Press.
Moore, Lynn. 1999. Quebec Men More Likely to Commit Suicide Than Women. The National Post, 15 February 1999.
Morgan, Matthew. 2003. The Reconstruction of Culture, Citizenship, and Military Service. Armed Forces and Society 29 (3):373-91.
Morton, Desmond. 1990. A Military History of Canada. Edmonton: Hurtig Publishers.
Moses, John, Donald Graves, and Warren Sinclair. 2004. A Sketch Account of Aboriginal Peoples in the Canadian Military: Department of National Defence.
Moskos, Charles C., John Allen Williams, and David R. Segal, eds. 1999. The Postmodern Military: Armed Forces after the Cold War. New York: Oxford University Press.
Mosse, George L. 2000. Shell-Shock as a Social Disease. Journal of Contemporary History 35 (1):101-8.
Murphy, Terrence. 1996. The English-Speaking Colonies to 1854. In A Concise History of Christianity in Canada. Toronto: Oxford University Press.
NAHO. 2008. An Overview of Traditional Knowledge and Medicine and Public Health in Canada. Ottawa: National Aboriginal Health Organization.
NATO. 2006. Percentages of Military Servicewomen 2006. Committee on Women in NATO Forces: NATO.
NATO. 2009. Canadian Forces 2009 National Report to the Committee for Women in NATO Forces. Ottawa: NATO.
Neufeld, Mark. 2008. Canadian Foreign Policy toward Afghanistan: A Case Study in 'Winning Hearts and Minds.' Paper read at International Studies Association's 49th Annual Convention, Bridging Multiple Divides, San Francisco, CA.
Noppe, Dave. 2009. Aboriginals in CF. The Maple Leaf 12 (11):16.
Park, Baxter. 2003. Chaplains, Social Gospel and Social Justice. In The
Ecumenical Model of Ministry in the Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch. Ottawa: Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch.
PBS.org. 2001. America Responds. N.d. 2001 [accessed 27 November 2007]. Available from http://www.pbs.org/americaresponds/index.html.
Pedersen, Jesper S., and Jesper S. Sorensen. 1989. Organisational Cultures in Theory and Practice. Aldershot: Avebury Press.
Penczak, Christopher. 2003. Gay Witchcraft. Boston: Red Wheel/Weiser.
Pheysey, Diana C. 1993. Organizational Cultures: Types and Transformations. London: Routledge.
Pinch, Franklin C. 1999. Canada: Managing Change with Shrinking Resources. In The Postmodern Military: Armed Forces after the Cold War, edited by C.C. Moskos, J.A. Williams, and D.R. Segal. New York: Oxford University Press.
Piwowarczyk, Linda. 2005. Torture and Spirituality: Engaging the Sacred in Treatment. Torture 15 (1):1-8.
Power, Dennis. 2007. Shilo Opens Multi-Faith Centre. Army News, Department of National Defence, 25 July. Available from http://www.cmp-cpm.forces. gc.ca/pub/cfp-bpf/6-07/somfc-icis-eng.asp.
Razack, Sherene H. 2000. From The 'Clean Snows of Petawawa': The Violence of Canadian Peacekeepers in Somalia. Cultural Anthropology 15 (1):127-63.
- 2004. Dark Threats and White Nights: The Somalia Affair, Peacekeeping, and the New Imperialism. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Reynolds, Eric. 2003. Historic Foundations: A Precis of Canadian Military Chaplaincy. In The Ecumenical Model of Ministry in the Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch, Canadian Forces Chaplain Branch. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
Ritner, Carol, Hubert S. Locke, and John K. Roth, eds. 2004. Genocide in Rwanda: Complicity of the Churches? St Paul, MN: Paragon House.
Roof, Wade Clark. 1999. Spiritual Marketplace: Baby Boomers and the Remaking of America. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Salmoni, Barak A. 2004a. Advances in Predeployment Culture Training: The U.S. Marine Corps Approach. Military Review 86:79-88.
- 2004b. Beyond Hearts and Minds: Culture Matters. US Naval Institute Proceedings 130 (11):54-8.
Schein, Edgar H. 1992. Organizational Culture and Leadership. 2nd ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Seljak, David. 1997. Catholicism without the Church? Compass: A Jesuit Journal 14 (6):6-8.
- 2000. Resisting the 'No Man's Land' of Private Religion: The Catholic Church and Public Politics in Quebec. In Rethinking Church, State, and Modernity: Canada between Europe and America, edited by D. Lyon and M.
Van Die. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.
Seljak, David. 2005. Education, Multiculturalism, and Religion. In Religion and Ethnicity in Canada, edited by P. Bramadat and D. Seljak. Toronto: Pearson Longman.
Seljak, David, Joanne Benham Rennick, Andrea Schmidt, Kathryn Da Silva, and Paul Bramadat. 2007. Religion and Multiculturalism in Canada: The Challenge of Religious Intolerance and Discrimination, Final Report. Ottawa: Multiculturalism and Human Rights Program at the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Selmeski, Brian R. 2007. Military Cross-Cultural Competence: Core Concepts and Individual Development. Kingston: Royal Military College of Canada, Centre for Security, Armed Forces and Society.
Shallenberger, David. 1998. Reclaiming the Spirit: Gay Men and Lesbians Come to Terms with Religion. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
Snider, Don M. 1999. An Uninformed Debate on Military Culture. Orbis 43 (1):15-26.
Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence. 2003. Fourteenth Report Occupational Stress Injuries: The Need for Understanding. Montreal: Standing Senate Committee on National Security and Defence.
Statistics Canada. 2001a. The Arab Community in Canada. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- - 2001b. Religious Groups in Canada. Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics Profile Series, Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics. Ottawa: Federal Policy Research Initiative.
- - 2002. CF 2002 Supplement of the Statistics Canada Canadian Community Health Survey. Ottawa: Department of National Defence.
- - 2003a. Canada's Ethnocultural Portrait: The Changing Mosaic, 18 October [accessed 6 November 2006]. Available from http://www12.statcan.ca/ english/census01/products/analytic/companion/etoimm/canada.cfm.
- - 2003b. Selected Religions, for Canada, Provinces and Territories - 20% Sample Data. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- - 2004a. Overview: Canada Still Predominantly Roman Catholic and Protestant,
- 28 October [accessed 28 October 2004]. Available from http://www12.
- - 2004b. Provincial and Territorial Highlights, 28 October [accessed 28 October 2004]. Available from http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/ Analytic/companion/rel/provs.cfm.
- - 2006. Population by Sex and Age Group. Statistics Canada Summary Tables. Ottawa: Statistics Canada.
- - 2007. Military Personnel and Pay. Statistics Canada Tables. Ottawa:
Stebbins, Robert A. 2001. Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences: Qualitative Research Methods. Vol. 48. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Sweet, Lois. 1997. God in the Classroom: The Controversial Issue of Religion in Canada's Schools. Toronto: McClelland and Stewart.
Taylor, Alastair, David Cox, and J.L. Granatstein. 1968. Peacekeeping:
International Challenge and Canadian Response. Toronto: Canadian Institute of International Affairs.
Taylor, Charles. 1974. Snow Job: Canada, the United States and Vietnam (1954 to 1973). Toronto: Anansi Press.
Thiessen, Layne. 2006. Seven Religions, One Message. The Maple Leaf / La Feuille d'Erable 10 (18):16.
Thompson, Allan. 1999. Chaplain in Somali Affair Keeps Job. Toronto Star,
Thompson, Martie P, and Paula J. Vardaman. 1997. The Role of Religion in Coping with the Loss of a Family Member to Homicide. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 36 (1):44-51.
Toennies, Ferdinand. 1963 . Community and Society. Translated by C.P. Loomis. New York: Harper and Row.
Truscott, Susan, and Kate Dupre. 1998. Organizational, Social and
Demographic Change in the Canadian Forces. I.M.T. Association. Ottawa: Directorate of Human Resource Research and Analysis and Directorate of Strategic Human Resource Analysis.
Tuck, Simon. 1999. Military Ombudsman Supports 'Trophy Photo' Chaplain on Staff. The Globe and Mail, 30 August 1999.
Ulmer, Walter F., Jr, Howard Graves, and Joseph J. Collins. 2000. American Military Culture in the Twenty-First Century: A Report of the Csis International Security Program. Washington, DC: CSIS Press.
United Nations Association in Canada. 2007. Canadian Participation in UN Peacekeeping - Chronology [accessed 1 April 2010]. Available from http:// www.unac.org/peacekeeping/en/un-peacekeeping/fact-sheets/canadian-
Van Acker, Jillian. 2006. Aboriginal Members Require Culturally Appropriate Healthcare. Canadian Forces Health Services Group Bulletin 7 (6).
Weber, Max. 1958. The Protestant Work Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism.
New York: Scribner.
White, C.V. 2000. CF Making Progress Recruiting Aboriginal Canadians. Canadian Forces Personnel Newsletter.
Whitworth, Sandra. 2005. Militarized Masculinities and the Politics of Peacekeeping: The Canadian Case. In Critical Security Studies and World Politics, edited by K. Booth. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers
Winslow, Donna. 1997. The Canadian Airborne Regiment in Somalia: A Socio-Cultural Inquiry. Ottawa: Minster of Public Works and Government Services Canada.
- 1998. Misplaced Loyalties: The Role of Military Culture in the Breakdown of Discipline in Peace Operations. Canadian Review of Sociology and Anthropology 35 (3):345-67.
Wittner, Lawrence. 1993. The Struggle against the Bomb. 2 vols. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
Wuthnow, Robert 1998. After Heaven: Spirituality in America since the 1950s.
Los Angeles: University of California Press.
Zimmerman, George, and Wesley Weber. 2000. Care for the Caregivers: A Program for Canadian Military Chaplains after Serving in NATO and United Nations Peacekeeping Missions in the 1990s. Military Medicine 165 (9):687-90.
This page intentionally left blank